Last week, a couple of Filipinos made an impression at the recently concluded Asian Film Awards held at the Dancing Water Theatre in Macau, China.
For starters, our very own Eugene Domingo stood alongside some of Asia’s cinematic superstars as she was one of the presenters during the event. And on top of that, she was also nominated for a best actress award for her role in Barber’s Tales. And although the award for best actress was snagged by Zhang Ziyi for the film The Grandmaster, Eugene Domingo joined the audience in congratulating Ziyi’s win.
The Filipino-related film Ilo Ilo’s Yeo Yann Yann also took the Best Supporting Actress award for her role in the said film. The movie is based on the story of a Singaporean family’s relationship with a Filipina maid, played by Filipina actress Angeli Bayani.
The Complete Awards list are as follows:
- Lifetime Achievement: Hou Hsiao-Hsien
- Best Film: The Grandmaster
- Best Director: Wong Kar-wai, The Grandmaster
- Best Actor: Irrfan Khan, The Lunchbox
- Best Actress: Zhang Ziyi, The Grandmaster
- Best Newcomer: Jiang Shuying, So Young
- Best Supporting Actor: Huang Bo, No Man’s Land
- Best supporting actress: Yeo Yann Yann, Ilo Ilo
- Best Screenwriter: Ritesh Batra, The Lunchbox
- Best Cinematographer: Philippe Le Sourd, The Grandmaster
- Best Production Designer: William Chang Suk Ping, Alfred Yau Wai Ming, The Grandmaster
- Best Composer: Nathaniel Mechaly, Umebayashi Shigeru, The Grandmaster
- Best Editor: Shin Min-kyung, Cold Eyes
- Best Visual Effects: Jung Sung-jin, Mr Go
- Best Costume designer: William Chang Suk Ping, The Grandmaster