Have you ever felt so sluggish that if you had your way, you would sit comfortably on a couch and just watch as time elapses? You are not alone since at some point during the day we all get tired and sluggish. At this point we usually opt for coffee, doughnuts or any sugary food to boost our energy so that we can get on with the day. Health experts recommend eating breakfast and snacking regularly throughout the day to stay energetic.
Here is a list of foods that are proven to boost energy.
1. WHOLE GRAIN
- Nutritionists recommend that carbohydrates should be the main source of energy in your diet. Any wholegrain that is available to you will do the job.
- Although processed carbohydrates will quickly increase your blood glucose levels and cause an energy surge, this increase soon fades leaving you hungry for more Complex carbohydrates undergo slow digestion therefore providing sustainable energy.
- Quinoa is a great choice and you can have it for breakfast with Greek yoghurt or for lunch where you can mix it with your salad.
The list of the benefits of drinking water is long. Keeping hydrated is important for energy metabolism. Start your day with a glass of water and stay hydrated all day long to keep sluggishness at bay.
- Water aids in the transportation of nutrients to the cells and keeps cells at an optimum condition for energy metabolism. Remember that dehydration results in fatigue so you should drink lots of water.
Salmon is rich in essential fatty acids. The essential fatty acids also play a role in maintaining a healthy heart and in brain activity.
- Eating beans can help in boosting energy. Eating proteins with carbohydrates slows down the digestion of carbohydrates which helps in controlling blood sugar levels.
- Beans are rich in iron which is a major component of hemoglobin which is responsible for oxygen transport. Beans also contain B vitamins and magnesium that also support energy metabolism.
5. DARK CHOCOLATE
- Most healthy food is usually not tasty but dark chocolate is one of the exceptions. The next time you feel tired in the office instead of drinking coffee eat a bar of dark chocolate instead.
- Research has shown that dark chocolate contains flavor which is an antioxidant that is good for the heart. A healthy heart means proper oxygen transportation which leads to optimum energy production.
- Iron and magnesium are also present in dark chocolate.
- This healthy food is not only a treat for the taste buds but it is also a good way to boost your energy.
- Coconuts contain medium chain triglycerides. These medium chain triglycerides can boost you energy when required because they can be easily converted to energy. Therefore eat a coconut to raise you energy production and deal with sluggishness. Conclusion whether you are having a stressful day or just feeling sluggish, the above foods are a natural way to boost your energy. You should avoid stress since it can cause blood sugar swings
Alisa Emily lives in Switzerland, UK and is an avid blogger and reader. Since her early years she’s had a passion for writing. Her areas of interest are Travel, Fashion, Lifestyle, Food, Lifestyle, Reviews (Book/Movie), Health and Fitness. She works as a Freelancer on her chosen areas of interest and currently writes on behalf of ESTA which helps you in visa assistance service.